Wednesday, July 16, 2014

101 in 1001 July Update Part 2




Here is a run down on my 101 in 1001 progress thus far:

3. Run a(nother) half marathon
I recently said, I made the best choice for my body and gave up on my July half marathon trainning. I didn't give myself enough time to build a solid base at the shorter distances and could easily foresee regretting pushing myself the necessary distance. The most disappointing part was my mental willingness was there. Sure, I missed a few runs because I had other things I'd rather do but for the most part I stuck to the program pretty consistly. I have definitely let this slide since quitting trainning and I would like to get back into running the shorter distances immediately. I also may still sign up for another half in the near future after I build a solid base. This goal isn't marked off yet but for now, I'm considering it attempted. 

18. Meditate daily for two weeks
I am fully on board the meditation train. I feel better, more centered, more calm and overall more joy when I meditate regularly. If only I could get myself to do it daily. Enter, Lucent the new project by one of my favorite bloggers/entrepreneurs Jenny Blake. Lucent is simple. You start by choosing an icon that matches your overall mood, you set the timer for as long as you like, then after it prompts you to enter some short thoughts. The entire process takes me 6 minutes a day and I feel so much better after I do it. I have been going strong on the weekdays for over two weeks now and it has definitely become part of my daily routine. I consider this a total success. 

30. Long weekend in Chicago
I am a planner and am easily stressed but I love to travel. So as much as I look forward to taking trips I have a tendency to get caught up in the anticipation and excitement of the vacation for months before I leave. My trip to Chicago in June was not that. Jeff and I decided to go about a month in advance and we spent an hour one day finding a good hotel and I bought the plane tickets in about 15 minutes. It was all planned in less than a day. Not to mention the time there was incredible but that deserves a post in itself. This was the least stressful vacation I've ever taken and I am so motivated to take such trips more often. 

67. Stick to a good skin care routine 
I am currently trying too use up all of the old skin care products I have hoarded in drawers and boxes so this has led to a significantly more dedicated skin care routine. I have always used lotion on my body daily but I am horrible at remembering to wash my face at night and frequently forget sunscreen. I recently found a bottle of Neutrogena Make Up Remover Facial Wash so I have been using that at least three times a week at night. I also went on a quest for Burt's Bees Rose Water Tonic the moment I saw an add for it in a magazine a few months ago and have using that most nights. One of the most fun parts is the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque face I've used about every other week. I like to use it in the late morning after a workout on my days off when my roommates aren't home  so I don't scare them. It hasn't done much for my complexion but I have noticed my skin is significantly more soft since I started using it. Most importantly I have made sunscreen a priority before I leave in the morning which has decreased my pink nose. 

70. Give away all clothes I haven't worn in a year
This has turned into one of the most successful accomplishments of this of this list. 

Due to a bit of recent weight gain (from the afore mentioned lack of running) and an overall dissatisfaction with my body I had been feeling significantly uninspired and frustrated with my wardrobe. One day while having a leisurely morning at Jeff's house he was reading a news article and I was online shopping again. He looked at my iPad and said "you're always window shopping." I realized then, that I spend so much time looking at and buying clothes. Window shopping had easily become one of my most frequent pastimes. I didn't even buy something every time I shopped but I was always thinking about which clothes to buy next. I knew I could be using my time to do more meaningful productive things if I could cut down on the window shopping habit. 

It was right around this time that I discovered the concept of a capsule wardrobe on the blog Un-Fancy Caroline complies a wardrobe of 47 pieces, including tops, bottoms, jackets, dresses and shoes, and wears only those for three months. I was drawn to the idea as soon as I read about it. I started by taking everything out of my closet until I only had 40 items I loved. I put everything else I own in a drawer or give away pile. Then I 
went shopping for a few more items until I felt like I had a good solid mix of pieces. I plan on sticking with this capsule from June until the end of September when I'll reevaluate and create a new fall capsule. 

This idea has given me a new way of looking at clothes and defining style. I am certain in September I will look at the clothes I put away and want to donate most of them. I am quite looking forward to that time. 

82. Hike Mt. Tam
Two weeks ago I had a Friday-Sunday off without requesting it. I hadn't had a free Saturday off since I started in February and made full use of the day. I knew I wanted to try to get out of the city and earlier in the week I received an email from my favorite car rental site Relay rides offering $20 off my next rental so I snapped that up and booked a car for the day. I found a 4.5 mile hike on the internet just went for it. There was no cell service so I got a little lost and took a detour in the beginning and I am guessing I did more like 7 miles in about 3 hours. At points I was a little too hot and I ended up with a bruised toenail but the time in nature, away from technology was exactly what I needed.

99. Create hanging planters
For a less wordy ending to this very wordy post I'll let this picture speak for itself. I based the design on this post and finished the project in one night. I'm very happy with the results. 


No comments

Post a Comment


UP