Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July, the month to savor




In an effort to devote a little more time to this neglected space I am embarking on a month long blogging challenge. I will blog every day for 30 days to break me out of this non-blogging rut that has persisted just a bit too long.

This morning while on a walk I was thinking about how quickly time seemed to be passing this year. I can't believe it's already July. One one hand I feel like my Bali trip in February was just yesterday, on the other hand I feel like the first day at my current job, also in February, was a lifetime ago. It is so easy to forget that time is relative until I make that kind of comparison.

I've always felt a close relationship with time. I specifically remember being 8 years old, standing at the fence on my elementary school playground thinking. The other day I was watching Stephen Hawking's show, Into the Universe. He was discussing the way time slows down as we approach the speed of light and I could not grasp that concept. I think of time as constant, passing at the same rate regardless of whether we're paying attention or not. I thought the speed only fluctuated with our perception. My mind was blown when I realized what Stephen was saying. Time is not constant.

This year I've felt an especially strong rushing of time. Vacations and events I look forward to are gone in an instant. Even the days that aren't particularly exciting seem to be over before they start.
In July I'm going to see if I can slow it down ever so slightly and change my perspective on time by doing my best to savor each moment. I plan to spend a few more minutes on my morning walks or evening bike rides.  I am working towards slowing down over meals and snacking more mindfully  Most of all I want to focus on investing in personal interactions rather than rushing through conversations and giving people quick answers.

I will be savoring the heck out of July and documenting my way through it. I hope you'll join me.

What are you going to savor this month?

No comments

Post a Comment


UP