Thursday, April 10, 2014

On Wisdom, Creativity and My Blogging Future

When I started this blog a little over a year ago I intended for it to be place that I would share my deep thoughts and ideas with the world. An outlet for me to discuss the things most people avoid discussing in person: religion, politics, the meaning of the universe and other big picture ideas. I also planned to help people by dispensing advice. I was under the impression my interests in the above topics lead me to gain some sort of exceptional wisdom which I could share to improve other people's lives.

Over the course of my 25th year I realized how misconstrued this goal was. I had a rocky year of constant change. With each passing day, I felt I had less wisdom to share. This has played a major role in shaping the content of this blog. I've dabbled in sharing my life as well as my reactions to compelling articles I've read. I have wanted to write but felt I had nothing of value to share. I have wanted to share but felt too worried about what others would think. My hesitations and expectations for myself and my writing has made the process of blogging significantly less fulfilling than I had originally thought it would be.

I have decided it is time for a change.

My goals of selling this space as place to go for wisdom and insight now feels cheap and inauthentic as I feel less and less motivated to write from that sort of mindset. The prescriptive self-help genera is not where I feel comfortable.While I love reading other people's lists of "26 things I've learned by 26" have let go of  desire to share the same type of information myself. Instead I am interested in the rawness and vulnerability that comes with more reflective sort of writing.

I am pulled towards blogs that tell stories. The kind of websites that explore what it's like to go through life with eyes and hearts open. This is the kind of blogging I want to do and the direction I intend take this space. I want to engage instead of dictate. I want to move you, my reader, to feel rather than compel you to do.

So I am taking this moment to write a blog manifesto of sorts.

My goal is to explore writing; essays, short stories and the occasional poem are all on the table.
I will focus on sharing what I'm learning about myself instead of giving advice.
I will use tools to spark my creativity. I expect a book of prompts may make an appearance in the near future.
The messiness of life will not be avoided.
Less hypotheticals more specifics.
Authenticity is my aim.
This is not a lifestyle blog.

For now that is all. I am looking forward to what is ahead and truly making this a creative, expressive space. Thank you for sticking with me readers, it is a pleasure to have you here.



No comments

Post a Comment


UP