Thursday, July 10, 2014

101 in 1001 July update Part 1



After talking about goals in my last post I got to thinking about my 101 in 1001 list. After looking over the list again, I was pleasantly surprised that I had made progress on several of the goals which I'm excited to share in tomorrow's post. But after some review I noticed a few of the items on that list are expensive, vague, impractical and difficult to determine whether I've successfully achieved thSo,  I'm not sure whether this would be approved but I'm making the executive decision to modify some of the items on my list.

1. Do a yoga teacher training
4. Master the handstand (away from the wall)
14. Learn to play a song on the guitar
15. Buy a keyboard and practice at least once a week

44. Lead a free yoga class
65. Get to know my grandparents a little better

All of these goals are incredibly lofty. I have nothing against lofty goals, but I have basically said I'd like to dedicate myself to 3 new hobbies in a 2 year time period. This is totally doable by most standards but if I'm also going to tackle the goals of traveling (26-35), taking over SF (71-85), becoming politically active and socially concious (41-50) I can't see myself becoming a full time yogi and musician as well. I still definitely want to master a handstand, become a yoga teacher, and be a guitar/piano player but I have decided it's more reasonable to start smaller.

I also don't like the way vague #65 makes me feel. How do I measure this goal? Why stop when I know them "a little better". Why not a lot better? I grew up visitng my grandparents at least every other month and over the last few years I've only seen them a handful of times. I am going to stop blaming the distance on a dwindling relationship.

Here are my new goals:

1. Find a yoga class I love
4. Master headstand. I'm so close. Handstand is very far away.
14. Practice my guitar once a week. I already have a guitar. No purchase necessary. 
15. Discover some new music. I'm done saying Motown is my favorite genre. 
44. Attend a grant writing class
65. Write my grandparents once a month

I still have quite a few grand goals on the list but I feel more content with these more achievable goals. I'm looking forward to checking them off the list.

Stay tuned for my goal progress update tomorrow.

Have you written your list yet?

No comments

Post a Comment


UP