Monday, July 7, 2014

The Point of Goal Setting

It's no secret I'm big on goal setting. Heck I even made a 101 item list of goals! I like the concept of working towards something. For me goals are less about the achievement and more about the striving, but I realize the reason behind goal setting is not the same for everyone.

I had a conversation with my beau about this this weekend. He said setting goals is tiring and boarder-line pointless because you achieve them and then immediately focus on the next goal. He said, because we move on from appreciating the accomplishment so quickly we don't get true satisfaction from the goals. Instead we should be more open to the concept of things happening but not attached to them. Instead of planning we should do what we want in the moment.

The planner in me revolts at this notion of giving up goals all together but even as a notorious goal setter understand I where he is coming from. I know it's all too easy to ignore the satisfaction that comes with achieving something when there is always something else to work toward.

I have talked about this general idea before. Moving from one thing to the next without focusing on savoring the accomplishment itself. This month I am working on reevaluating my idea of goals. Why am I setting them and what do I hope to gain from the achievement. I'll report back soon.

In the meantime I'd love to hear some of your goals and why you set them.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP